“South of Lockport, Illinois lies a unique treasure – a pearl, known as Dellwood. One-hundred-eighty-two years of historical findings lie beneath her surface and stream through Fraction Creek’s deep ravine where fresh water flows between dolomite stone cliffs. This is Dellwood.”
Caneva, Dr. Reno. Dellwood Chronicles. 2018. Print
Since the year 2000, Sean Callahan was drawn to Dellwood Park just as the generations before him had been. Whether it was taking photos, skateboarding, walking the trails or running in the woods with his dog, he always came to Dellwood as an oasis from everyday life. It was truly a place to unwind and get lost in nature. In the Spring of 2013 he emailed the park district director, Dave Herman, about building a disc golf course on the property. Sean had played the sport for some time and had been inspired by a recent trip to Sandy Point Ranch in Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin. He thought Dellwood Park was a perfect property for a course. The next morning Sean received a call from Dave to set up a meeting to talk about the sport and within a week Sean and local legend Gary Lewis pleaded their case for disc golf in Dellwood Park, Dave approved. Sean was introduced to Steve Matul and each designed an 18 hole layout, after showing the proposals to Dave, a mix of both Sean’s and Steve’s designs birthed the original 18 hole layout. In the fall of 2013 work began on the course. The Canyons was hand cleared by Roy Carey, Steve Matul (PDGA #8), Steve Schlack, Steve Olson, Jason Poole, Jose Herrera and Sean and Sheila Callahan. A couple of club work days helped with trash removal and trimming. In the beginning all work to complete the course was volunteer. Since The Canyon’s opening Sean and Jeff Loeshen, head of park maintenance, have masterminded the hole additions, long tees and b pin placements. The Lockport Township Park District lead by Jeff have done a remarkable job on upkeep and maintenance on the course.
- August 2013 – J Town Disc Golf Club hosted the first doubles event on their own temporary course layout
- Fall 2013-Fall 2014 – The Canyons takes shape
- September 20, 2014 – The Canyons Grand Opening with original 18 holes.
- Summer 2015 – B Pins added to holes 12 and 13
- Fall 2015 – Long Tee Pads added to holes 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17
- Spring 2016 – New Holes added, 6a, 6e, 8a, 8b, 8c, 8d
- Fall '16 - Spring '17 – Long Tee pads added to holes 5, 2, 6a and new holes added 6b, 6c, 6d
- April 1, 2017 – Dellwood Disc Golf Pro Shop Opens
- Fall 2017 – B Pins added to holes 10 and 18
- Fall 2018 – B Pins added to holes 3, 4, 9, 11